Saturday, February 23, 2008

Having the flu sucks

Well it seems to be that season again--the flu season. And while I thought I was immune to it, I found out over the past few days exactly how untrue that is.

I started to notice it Wednesday night. It was a chill in my neck and spine that kept me from getting warm. It was so uncomfortable, I only got about 2 hours of sleep. But come Friday morning I decided to soldier on. I went into work. Just after lunch time it became painfully obvious I should be at home.

So I drove home, with my head killing me, my throat dried out and scratchy, my stomach in knots and a feeling that my entire body had slowly been run over by a semi-truck.

Once I got home, it only got worse. My temperature was up to 104.

The next few days I laid in bed in various degrees of pain. I drank gallons of medicine and sucked down thousands of cough drops. Though they certainly helped, they didn't help enough. The only energy I could muster was to operate the TV remote or maybe toss the pillow over.

But gradually I got better. The pounding headache transformed into occasional dizziness. My back stopped hurting and my stomach started hurting. My throat, well it just consistently hurt.

My wife was going to work Saturday morning and I was going to watch the kids. When I first woke up that morning, I felt OK. I thought I could manage. But that idea went away pretty quick. After changing a dirty diaper I got this nauseous, dizzy feeling. My wife decided to stay home and I managed to sleep until early in the afternoon,

I continued to get gradually better. Around 2 p.m. I was able to finally get out of bed, which was good because my sides were getting sore from laying around all day. I got enough energy to take a shower and eventually went downstairs to play with the boys and see my wife.

I have dealt with this thing for going on 4 straight days now. Hopefully it is almost over. Other than the sore throat and the nasty junk I am coughing up, I seem to be back on track.

In case you don't already know, the flu is just a miserable miserable thing. Next year I just have to man up, realize I am not immune and get a stinkin' flu shot.

No comments: